According to the recent research, India has 12 million children living with disabilities. 1 in 60 children is getting diagnosed with autism making around 3 million people in India suffering from Autism Spectrum Disorder. We need a greater number of professionals, educators getting involved in the process of assessment, intervention and documentation of success and breakthrough while working with the special needs population. Most of the schools are essentially looking for qualified counsellors and special educators to cater the learning needs of the children with different kind of special needs. Therefore, from the perspectives of progression in scientific research and job opportunities, there is a huge demand for efficient professionals in this field. Akshadhaa Internship program is designed to provide intensive exposure in one to one and group set ups with the special needs population of broad range of age group from Early intervention to Transition to vocational and life skill training stage. It brings the opportunity to explore relatively new intervention areas of therapeutic art making, benefit of drama, movement therapy and percussions for people with autism.
Benefits of participating in this program
- Students gain relevant experience in the application of behaviour analysis principles with students who have special needs
- Students get the opportunity to train and work alongside professionals while receiving academic credit.
- A master or doctoral level clinician supervises interns.
- Our internships are flexible to the scheduling needs of the student.
Who can applyStudents in their junior or senior year and are studying in the field of psychology, education, rehabilitation science, expressive arts, occupational therapy, speech therapy, physiotherapy, communication disorders and other human services related programs
- Scientist-practitioner model which holds that a psychologist selects clinical strategies based on research findings, references research literature
- Developing an intervention plan, collects treatment data using a valid methodology, shares findings at professional conferences or through publication, and understands the scientific limitations of the field at this time.
- Helping interns attain competency in the following domains: Clinical Assessment, Intervention, Research, Diversity, Professional Skills and Ethics, Supervision, and Consultation
- Interns learn how to apply the behavioural paradigm of functional analysis of behaviour, behaviour therapy and cognitive-behavioural therapy